August 5th _ the day we all begin to part ways,
via cars, planes, and buses. Nicole and I are the only ones left in our hotel
lobby as we wait for the time we need to leave for the bus station. As each
member leaves, I am so aware of their impact on the team as a whole and I am
hopeful for how God is pushing them forward and closer to Himself.
We had the privilege of participating in the awesome community
at Trinity Life Church in Toronto this summer, and one day we witnessed a
baptism at Lake Ontario. As we were praying after the beautiful baptism, one of the pastors Mike said, “We
as spiritual authorities who have the Holy Spirit living in us have the power
and ability to bless others with what they need in Christ to engage their lives
in a real way.” Earlier in the month on a Sunday morning, the other TLC pastor Daniel talked about another way we should be praying. He described that we need to be
praying more for others and the church, and less for what we need ourselves. It
isn’t bad or wrong to ask God for what we need – in fact He commands us to. But
we need to be aware that sometimes our petitions for things we need for
ourselves can take away from how we can be blessing the church and others
around us in ways that they desperately need.
Just like everything else God has given us, prayer is a gift and a resource that needs to be used wisely. We need to be stewards of prayer in a way that allocates it to things that need it most. For example, how often do you pray for those that you know to come to a saving relationship with Christ? On the other hand, often do you ask God to provide you with financial security? And at the very end of everything, when all earthly kingdoms have faded away, the stars have burned out, and the mountains have crumbled and fallen, which of these questions has an eternal answer?
Just like everything else God has given us, prayer is a gift and a resource that needs to be used wisely. We need to be stewards of prayer in a way that allocates it to things that need it most. For example, how often do you pray for those that you know to come to a saving relationship with Christ? On the other hand, often do you ask God to provide you with financial security? And at the very end of everything, when all earthly kingdoms have faded away, the stars have burned out, and the mountains have crumbled and fallen, which of these questions has an eternal answer?
This gives me so much hope, because I’ve realized something.
Since our ability to flood others with blessings is so easily accessible with
Christ in us, there is SO much potential for the church to become the bride
that He so desperately longs for! Let’s please regularly bless our brothers and
sisters with what they need, and pray for others to know the saving grace of
Christ.
I wasn’t able to say this to my team members in person before leaving, but I want them all to know that I am blessing each of them through prayer. Brendan and James - our two unofficial members of the team! I am so glad we were all able to meet the two of you and spend our summer with you. I bless you both with purpose as you finish out your internships in Toronto and return back to every day life. Tyler, another unofficial team member! Thanks for including us in your ministry this summer and for sharing your experiences with us. I bless you with opportunities to reach others back in Dallas in new ways and daily faithfulness as God leads you there. I bless Kelly and Jenna with boldness and conviction, as they feel led to begin a Bible study to impact people where they live and work. I bless Kelsie with perseverance to discover the truth to questions she is asking about her future and purpose and passions. I bless Nicole with peace and steadiness of heart as she navigates life-altering decisions and events. I bless Noah, Azzie, Bryan, and Joshua with leadership and ownership of the ways that God has gifted each of them; in creativity, in sports, in relationships and connecting with others. And I bless Eric with patience and endurance, and grace as he takes the next steps into a new life.
I wasn’t able to say this to my team members in person before leaving, but I want them all to know that I am blessing each of them through prayer. Brendan and James - our two unofficial members of the team! I am so glad we were all able to meet the two of you and spend our summer with you. I bless you both with purpose as you finish out your internships in Toronto and return back to every day life. Tyler, another unofficial team member! Thanks for including us in your ministry this summer and for sharing your experiences with us. I bless you with opportunities to reach others back in Dallas in new ways and daily faithfulness as God leads you there. I bless Kelly and Jenna with boldness and conviction, as they feel led to begin a Bible study to impact people where they live and work. I bless Kelsie with perseverance to discover the truth to questions she is asking about her future and purpose and passions. I bless Nicole with peace and steadiness of heart as she navigates life-altering decisions and events. I bless Noah, Azzie, Bryan, and Joshua with leadership and ownership of the ways that God has gifted each of them; in creativity, in sports, in relationships and connecting with others. And I bless Eric with patience and endurance, and grace as he takes the next steps into a new life.
I bless the current and future efforts of each member of our
team for the Lord’s sake – God, I pray that we would make disciples in
Harrisonburg, Nashville, Knoxville, Suffolk, and Culpeper, and anywhere else
you would send us.
No comments:
Post a Comment