As I was driving to school this morning (since I've written last, I am now a first grade teacher, crazy I know!), and I was looking out over the lightly frosted hills of the valley and the pale pinks and oranges of the sunrise, I finally realized why I love winter. It's subtle beauty at it's best.
In my head I contrasted winter with summer and tried to discover why I have such a love for one and not so much the other. And I gave the seasons personalities to do this. So, when I thought of the personality summer would have, I immediately thought "obnoxious." To be fair, I enjoy many things about summer. Plentiful farmers markets, more sunlight, and people seem overall happier. But if I were to meet the season of summer, I feel like the first words out of her mouth would be, "Hi! I'm summer, I'm beautiful and everyone loves me!" Which is mostly true. But I don't love her that much.
Winter on the other hand, is beautiful in a different way. Winter's pale colors don't demand your eye. In the winter, without the blazing sun, with no flowers adorning her grasses and no leaves to dress the limbs of bare trees, the earth says, "This is me in my most humble, my most vulnerable state." No shows, no diversions, no grasping for attention. Just simple honesty. And because of this, she is even more beautiful to me.
I also find something beautiful in the dormancy of winter. The earth awaits for another time of plenty, but it isn't quite here yet. It's staying quiet and patient, letting time pass as God works to bring about new life. Our times of waiting can be our most vulnerable as well. We aren't striving or working to bring about change on our own. We are letting the Spirit lead us and we are following Him where He is already at work.
Winter echoes my heart, which is why I love her so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment